USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 4 miles west-southwest of Fawnskin, 105 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butler Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 2.5 miles round trip cross-country and dirt road
- Gain: 1440'
- Time: 2½-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Ted Lubeshkoff, September 2010
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 to SR 210.
- Drive north on SR 210 (signed "West") to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the entrance of Snow Valley and 1.8 miles
farther to Lake View Point Saddle. This is the parking area for
- Continue east on SR 18 for 3.2 miles to Call Box 18-424. Park here.
Note: This is also the only place along this section the highway where a road heads south, Glory Ridge road. There is plenty of parking at this location.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (7180'), cross to the north side of the highway to a road sign just to
the east of the road curve. Use extreme caution when crossing the highway. Cross at a point where you can see traffic in both directions. If in a group, cross at the same time.
- From the road sign, go up the hill side and hike up to the main ridge on the left.
- Once on the ridge, turn right (north) and follow the communication poles (be careful to watch for downed wires on the ground) up to dirt road 2N13C at about 8200'. This point is 1 mile from the trailhead.
- Turn left (west) and follow this road ¼ mile to a parking lot at a fire lookout.
- From the parking lot, climb up to the lookout.