USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 8 miles northwest of Fawnskin, 110 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butler Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.6 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Little Shay Mountain, Ingham Peak, Deer Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip on road and firebreak
- Gain: 1500'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route: Grasslands and pinyon-juniper woodland
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, November 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
From the south:
- Drive to the town of Fawnskin (east on I-10 to I-215, then north to
SR 210, then east to SR 330, then north to SR 18, then east to the dam at
Big Bear Lake, then north on SR 38).
- Turn left (northwest) on Rim of the World Drive (3N14) in Fawnskin (paved
for first 1/2 mile). Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, fork with 2N13 to the left and 3N14 to the right.
- At 1.8 miles, fork with Holcomb Valley Road (3N12) to the right.
- At 2.0 miles, Hanna Flat with 2N68 to the left. Go right.
- At 4.4 miles, stream crossing and junction with 3N93 to the
left and 3N08 to the right. Go straight.
- At 6.0 miles, fork with 3N97 to the left. Go right.
- At 6.9 miles, junction with 3N16 at Big Pine Flat. Keep straight.
- At 7.0 miles, entrance to Big Pine Flat Campground. Keep straight.
- At 10.5 miles, junction with 3N41 on the left. Go left
a short distance and park by the gate.
From the north:
- Drive east on I-10 and north on I-15 to the Hesperia turnoff.
- Go east on Main Street in Hesperia for 7.2 miles to the "Y" junction of Rock Springs Road (on the left) and Arrowhead Lake Road (the main road continuing on the right). Turn left (east) on Rock Springs Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.9 miles, Kiowa Way on the left. Continue straight as Rock Springs Road becomes Roundup Way.
- At 5.9 miles, pavement ends. Continue east.
- At 7.3 miles, intersection with the Bowen Ranch Road. Turn right (south).
- At 8.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 9.4 miles, junction with Coxey Truck Trail (3N14), turn left. This is the turnoff for Round Mountain and one of the Luna Mountain routes. Note your odometer again and go as follows:
- Drive 4.4 miles, pass through a gate.
- At 7.3 miles at the juncture with 4N16 continue south on 3N14 for another two miles to parking area.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5860'), hike south past the gate, following
the old roadbed about 0.4 mile to another gate.
- Contineu past the gate, following the old roadbed and trail segments
about 1.2 miles to a
a wide flat area beyond the site of
Hawes Ranch, signed "Muddy Springs - 3".
- Follow the Muddy
Springs Trail west for 1 1/2 miles to saddle 6240'+. Note that the
trail has been re-routed from the track shown on the topo. It now swings
north to the saddle west of bump 6212', then traverses gently south to
- Turn right and follow the ridge north about 3/4 mile to the
summit. The peak is the northeast bump on the summit plateau.