USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 7 miles northwest of Fawnskin, 106 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butler Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1 meg|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 1700'
- Time: 1½ hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Wayne Bannister, May 2012
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 and north on I-15 to the Hesperia turnoff.
- Go east on Main Street in Hesperia for 7.2 miles to the "Y" junction of Rock Springs Road (on the left) and Arrowhead Lake Road (the main road continuing on the right). Turn left (east) on Rock Springs Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.9 miles, Kiowa Way on the left. Continue straight as Rock Springs Road becomes Roundup Way.
- At 5.9 miles, pavement ends. Continue east.
- At 7.3 miles, intersection with the Bowen Ranch Road. Turn right (south).
- At 8.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 9.4 miles, junction with Coxey Truck Trail (3N14), turn left. This is the turnoff for Round Mountain and one of the Luna Mountain routes. Note your odometer again and go as follows:
- Drive 4.4 miles, pass through a gate.
- At 7.3 miles turn left at 4N16.
- Drive 2.3 miles past the Horse Spring junction and turn right on 3N17.
- Continue for 1.1 miles veering right at each junction and park.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6050'), hike southeast up the jeep trail for 2 miles to a ridge.
- Go northeast from the ridge for a quarter mile to the summit.