USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 7 miles northwest of Fawnskin, 106 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butler Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1 meg|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, November 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to SR 210.
- Drive north on SR 210 (signed "West")
to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR 38.
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. Turn left (northwest) on
3N14. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, fork with 2N68 to the left and 3N14 to the right. Keep
- At 1.8 miles, fork with Holcomb Valley Road to the right. Keep left.
- At 2.0 miles, Hanna Flat with 2N13 to the left. Go right.
- At 4.4 miles, stream crossing and junction with 3N93 to the left
and 3N08 to the right. Go straight.
- At 6.0 miles, fork with 3N97 to the left. Go right.
- At 6.9 miles, junction with 3N16 at Big Pine Flat. Big Pine Flat may
also be reached from the southwest using the Green Valley Lake Road
(3N16). This is the turnoff for Hawes Peak,
Ingham Peak, Shay Mountain,
Little Shay Mountain, and Deer
- Drive 50 yards to gate for 3N11.
- Drive 0.2 miles on 3N11 to fork with 3N92 on your left.
- Turn left and drive 0.4 mile to where road ends.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area, go through the opening in the fence,
go about 100' to a gully on your right.
- Follow gully up to the ridge. From time to time, you will see an old road
bed going up this gully.
- On the ridge, turn right, following an old road bed towards
South Peak (7736').
- Just before South Peak, a dirt road comes
in from the right. Turn left on this road and follow it to the peak.