USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 11 miles north-northwest of San Bernardino, 88 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Silverwood Lake 7½, Cajon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Monument Peak #2
ROUTE 1 - Drive up
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1/3 mile round trip on jeep trail
- Gain: 160'
- Time: 1/4 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Leader Rating: "O"
Original: Peter Doggett, December 2008
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-15, then north on I-15 to SR 138. Turn right
- Go 8.0 miles to the junction with SR 173 on the left near Lake
Silverwood. Keep straight on SR 138.
- Drive another 2.6 miles and exit on Cleghorn Road (2N49).
At the bottom of the off-ramp,
turn right on 2N49. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.8 mile, pavement ends.
- At 1.4 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 2.4 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 4.0 miles, Cleghorn Pass and a hairpin turn at two water tanks.
- At 6.3 miles, Cajon Lookout road fork on the right. This is the
parking spot for Cajon Mountain. Keep left.
- At 8.7 miles, saddle.
This is the parking spot for
- At 9.4 miles, fork. Go right. This is the parking spot for the
Alternate Route, below.
- At 9.9 miles, saddle. Park here. Ample parking.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5540'), hike northwest up a steep jeep trail
to the summit.
- Note: The peak with antennas to the southeast is labeled "Bailey"
on some maps, but is not the HPS summit.
Park at the fork at 9.4 miles in the Route 1 driving directions.
Hike southeast following the ridge to the summit. This is about 3/4
miles round trip, 300' gain, 1/2 hour round trip.
The dirt roads are seasonal.