USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: On the Riverside-Orange County line, about 12 miles south of Corona, 61 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, Orange County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Santiago Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Modjeska Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 18 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 4000'
- Time: 10-11 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
- Driving: High clearance 4WD
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From I-5, exit on El Toro Road and go north on El Toro Road.
Just after Cook's Corner Restaurant the road forks with Santiago Canyon Road
and Live Oak Canyon Road.
- At the fork, go right on Live Oak Canyon Road (S19).
- Follow Live Oak Canyon Road until it makes a 120° left turn near the
entrance of the O'Neill Regional Park. At this point the road becomes
Trabuco Canyon Road.
- Drive 4.4 miles (just past Rose Canyon Road) to where you cross a large wash.
After crossing the wash, take an immediate left turn on a dirt road.
This is Trabuco Creek Road.
- Drive east 4.6 miles to a wide parking area with a road forking off
uphill to the left (north). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (BM 1746), hike north up the left-road fork,
which passes a number of houses and ends at a gate in 0.5 mile.
- Continue on the Holy Jim Trail to where the trail meets a road at Bear
Springs (BM 3965). Turn right to the spring and hike up the trail
that begins behind the spring to where it meets the road close to the
- Turn right on the road then switchback left and follow the road to the
ROUTE 1 NOTE
High clearance vehicle strongly recommended.