USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 9 miles north of Upland, 45 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Cucamonga Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.3 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Bighorn Peak, Sugarloaf Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 12 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 3700'
- Time: 6-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take the 210 freeway east to Baseline Road exit in the City of Claremont.
Turn left (west) at the bottom of the off-ramp onto Baseline Road.
- Almost immediately, take the first right (north) onto Padua Ave.
- Go 1.8 miles north on Padua to the intersection with Mount Baldy Rd.
Turn right (northeast).
- Take this road northeast and then north about seven miles to Mt. Baldy Village.
- Continue two and a half miles past Baldy Village to a fork at Icehouse
Canyon, keep right.
- Go a short distance to a parking lot. Park here.
Note: There is a good parking lot for ridesharing in this area.
To get there, after turning west on Baseline Road, continue past
Padua Avenue a short distance to Mills Avenue. Turn north on Mills,
and continue to Mt. Baldy Road. The parking lot is at the northeast
corner of this intersection.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5000'), trail 7W07 starts just to the right of
the old Icehouse Lodge foundation.
- Hike up this trail about 3/4 mile to
a trail junction with the Chapman Trail.
- Continue straight up the canyon
past Columbine Spring to another junction with the Chapman Trail.
right and follow the trail up to Icehouse Saddle. It is also possible to
take the Chapman Trail. It adds about 1 1/2 miles to Icehouse Saddle.
- There are a number of trails at the saddle. Take the first one to the
right and follow it about a mile to Kelly's Camp.
- Pass uphill through the
camp and pick up the trail again which goes up to the top of the ridge.
- Turn right and follow the trail out to the summit.