USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 10 miles north of Azusa, 42 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 645K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6.5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2800' total, 1300' out plus 1700' on return
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From the intersection of I-210 and Azusa Avenue (SR 39), drive north
on Azusa Avenue to the Crystal Lake entrance.
- Continue on SR 39 for 0.3 miles to a locked gate. Park on the left in the wide
paved parking area before the gate.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (5200'), hike past the locked gate and up the road for
about a mile until you see a gated dirt road on your left.
- Pass through this gate and continue uphill to gain the ridge.
- Follow this wide firebreak on the ridge to the saddle (4240') north of Smith
Mountain where there is a junction with Route 1.
- From here follow a use trail south along a firebreak up to the summit.