USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 5 miles northeast of Monrovia, 44 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Azusa 7½, Mount Wilson 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.4 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(Special Forest Service Permit and
USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip cross-country
- Gain: 600'
- Time: 3/4 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: David Eisenberg, January 1992
DRIVING ROUTE 4
- Take I-210 to the Azusa Avenue exit (SR 39).
- Go north on SR 39 about 12 miles to the intersection with the East Fork Road.
- Go 0.8 mile more to the gated Red Box-Rincon Road on the left
(2N24). Turn left.
- Go through the gate (see the permit information below), note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 7.8 miles, fork. Go left.
- At 10.8 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 11.8 miles, a ravine on the left. One or two cars can park here.
More parking is available slightly to the west.
HIKING ROUTE 4
- From the parking area (4800'),
follow a use trail up the ravine through some
brush to a firebreak.
- Turn right and follow the firebreak to the summit.
To drive this route, you must obtain a permit and a lock combination for the
Red Box-Rincon Road (2N24). This permit is seasonal. For information
San Gabriel River Ranger District
Angeles National Forest
110 N. Wabash
Glendora, CA 91741