USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 16 miles north of Claremont, 66 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.9 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Baden-Powell
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 15 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 5500' total, 3200' out plus 2300' on return
- Time: 8-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
Original: Fred Hoeptner and Paul A. Lipsohn, February 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway, drive north
on Angeles Crest Highway for about 51 miles to a large parking area on the right
side of the road at Vincent Gap. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) starts at the west end of the parking
- From the parking lot (6593'), hike up the trail 3.75 miles through many switchbacks
junction where the PCT goes to the right.
- Keep left and follow the trail ¼ mile
up to the summit of Baden-Powell.
- Hike south down the ridge 1 mile from here through a level area at
- Continue south 1.5 miles down over elevation 7407'.
- Go over another bump and out 1 mile to
elevation 7402' which is the summit.