USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 15 miles north-northeast of Glendora, 56 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.3 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Islip, South Mount Hawkins (LO), Middle Hawkins, Throop Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 2200'
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, October 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2), drive
north on Angeles Crest Highway 39.5 miles (mile marker 64.1) to Islip
Saddle. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (6600'), cross Angeles Crest Highway and go up
the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
- Hike up the PCT to Little Jimmy Campground.
- Continue on the PCT past the campground to Windy Gap.
- Continue east on the
PCT for 1.5 miles farther to saddle 8400', where a trail forks to the
south. This is the turnoff for Middle Hawkins
and South Mount Hawkins (LO).
- Take the left (east)
fork, the PCT, up past bump 8800'+ and on to where the trail arrives on
the ridge northeast of the summit.
- Here there is a fork heading southwest
along the ridge. This is the turnoff for Throop Peak.
- Turn right and follow this trail up to the summit.