USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 14 miles north of Glendora, 65 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Hawkins, South Mount Hawkins (LO), Mount Islip
(Entrance Fee for Crystal Lake area)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 3100'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, July 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 4
- From I-210 and San Gabriel Canyon Road (SR 39), go north on SR 39 to
Crystal Lake Campground. Park in the day-use parking area in the
campground near the trailhead to the Windy Gap Trail.
HIKING ROUTE 4
- From the parking area (5800'+), hike up the Windy Gap Trail to where it
crosses dirt road 3N07 the second time. There may be a sign "S
Hawkins Road 3N07, Hawkins Lookout 5". (This mileage is incorrect.)
- Turn right and follow the road up to a saddle (7440'+) just north of
South Mount Hawkins (LO). This is the turnoff
for South Mount Hawkins (LO).
- Hike north up
the ridge on a road which goes a short distance to a heliport.
- A trail
leaves on the right side. Follow this trail up Hawkins ridge to a point
just north of Middle Hawkins.
- From here follow a use trail south up the
ridge about 1/3 mile to the summit.