USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 14 miles north of Glendora, 65 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Hawkins, South Mount Hawkins (LO), Mount Islip
(Entrance Fee for Crystal Lake area)
- Distance: 12 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 2750'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, October 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- From I-210 and San Gabriel Canyon Road (SR 39), go north on SR 39 to
Crystal Lake Campground. Park in the day-use parking area in the
campground near the trailhead to the Windy Gap Trail.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area (5800'+), hike up the Windy Gap Trail to
- Turn left (east) on the PCT for 1 1/2 miles farther to saddle 8400',
where a trail forks to the south. This is the turn-off point for
- Take the south fork, keeping left at what looks like an immediate fork,
until the trail goes around the east side of elevation 8440'+ to the
saddle south of it.
- Here a use trail goes off to the right up the ridge about 1/3 mile
to the summit.