USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 14 miles northeast Azusa, 47 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Crystal Lake 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Middle Hawkins, Mount Hawkins, Mount Islip
(Entrance Fee for Crystal Lake area)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 2000'
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, July 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From I-210 and San Gabriel Canyon Road (SR 39) go north on SR 39
to Crystal Lake.
- Park in the day-use parking area near the trailhead to
the Windy Gap Trail.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5800'+), hike up the Windy Gap Trail to where it
crosses dirt road 3N07 the second time. There may be a sign "S
Hawkins Road 3N07, Hawkins Lookout 5". (This mileage is incorrect.)
- Turn right and follow the road up to a saddle (7440'+) just north of the
summit. This is the turnoff for Middle Hawkins.
- Continue south on the road up to the summit. There was an old lookout
tower on the summit.