USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 9 miles south of Pearblossom, 49 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Juniper Hills 7½, Waterman Mountain 7½, Valyermo 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.5 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Will Thrall Peak, Pallett Mountain, Mount Williamson
- Distance: 16.5 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 4900' total, 4100' out plus 800' on return
- Time: 8-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Charlie Knapke, September 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR 14) northeast toward Palmdale.
Get off at the Angeles Forest Highway/Pearblossom Highway.
- Go 4.5 miles northeast and then east on Pearblossom Highway to
the intersection with SR 138.
- Turn right and drive 9 miles to Longview Road (N6) (shown as
131st Street on the 7.5 minute topos) in the town of Pearblossom,
where a sign "Devils Punchbowl" points to the right. Turn right
(south) onto N6. Note your odometer and proceed as follows:
- At 2.0 miles, junction with Fort Tejon Road. Turn left.
- At 2.5 miles, junction with Longview Road (N6) (shown as 13st
Street on the 7.5 minute topos). Turn right.
- At 4.5 miles, signed junction marked "Lewis Ranch" and "Devils
Punchbowl" on the left. Turn left.
- Drive 3 miles farther to a parking lot at the end of the road
at the Devil's
Punchbowl Nature Center. Park in the parking lot. (At
the time of this revision, there is no fee.)
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From your parking spot (4760'), walk to the signed beginning of
the Burkhart Trail next to the portable toilet.
- Proceed onto the trail, which swings southwest past a large, green
water tank to a trail junction at about 0.7 mile.
- Take the right (west) fork, which reads "Burkhart Saddle 6.2 miles".
- After 2 miles the trail descends steeply to a junction with a dirt
road. Turn left (south) on this road, signed "Burkhart Saddle 3.7 miles".
- The road passes a windmill high above Cruthers Creek and then descends
into the canyon, where you follow a wide trail alignment that heads
uphill on the right immediately after crossing the creekbed (4600').
- Ascend the trail for 3.4 miles to Burkhart Saddle (6959').
- Continue as in Route 1.