USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 1 1/4 miles north of Mount Wilson, 33 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Mount Wilson 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 3.4 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Wilson
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 200'
- Time: 1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2), go
north on Angeles Crest Highway 14 miles to the junction at Red Box. Turn
right on Mount Wilson Road.
- Go 3.8 miles to a large parking area, mostly barricaded by
boulders, on the left side of the road 200' before a
driveway into a TV transmitter site. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area, walk across the road. Look for a faint
use trail leading up to the start of the transmitter site's
- The fence can be followed generally westward to the end of
the transmitter site, or a more natural use trail that appears
to the right and down may be taken.
- At the end of the transmitter site, cross the helipad and follow
a use trail along the ridge to the summit.