USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 3 miles north of Altadena, 31 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Mount Wilson 7½, Pasadena 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 630K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Lowe, San Gabriel Peak, Mount Disappointment
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 3 miles round trip on road and trail
- Gain: 600'
- Time: 1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 3.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Turn right.
- Drive 2.3 miles to Eaton Saddle. Park on the right. Do not block the
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5100'), pass the gate and hike up the road,
through a tunnel, about 1/2 mile to Markham Saddle.
This is the turnoff for Mount Disappointment and
San Gabriel Peak.
- The road continues west, but take a trail (12W14) on the left, which
starts at this saddle.
- Follow it to a saddle between Mount Markham and
Mount Lowe. This is the turnoff for
- At this saddle, turn left (northeast)
and follow the ridge up to the summit.