USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 4 miles north of Altadena, 30 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Chilao Flat 7½, Mount Wilson 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 630K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Deception, Mount Disappointment, Mount Lowe, Mount Markham
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 4 1/2 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 1400'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Brent Washburne, December 1988
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Turn right.
- Drive 0.4 mile to a paved road (2N52) on the right. Park here. Do not
block the gate.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- At the parking area (4760'), the San Gabriel Peak Trail starts just
to the left of the gate. Hike up this trail to where it meets a paved
- Turn left and follow the road to a road fork between San Gabriel
Peak and Mount Disappointment (5800'-).
- On the
southeast side of this flat area, find a trail. Follow it about 200' to a
- The right (south and downhill) fork leads to Markham
Saddle. Go straight (east) and follow the trail up to the summit.
It is also possible to follow paved road 2N52 from the parking area to
the road fork between Mount Disappointment and San