USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 4 miles north of Altadena, 30 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Chilao Flat 7½, Mount Wilson 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 630K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Deception, San Gabriel Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 1200'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Charlie Knapke, December 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Turn right.
- Drive 0.4 mile to a paved road (2N52) on the right. Park here. Do not
block the gate.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- At the parking area (4760'), the San Gabriel Peak Trail starts just
to the left of the gate. Hike up this trail to where it meets a paved
- Turn left and follow the road to a road fork between
San Gabriel Peak and Mount Disappointment (5800'-).
- Turn right and follow the road up to the summit. The register is in a pile
of rocks at the far end of a large concrete pad.