USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 10 miles north of Monrovia, 40 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 3.6 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 700'
- Time: 1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, February 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station.
- Continue on Angeles Crest Highway about 9 miles farther to the
Charlton Flats Picnic Area on the left. Turn left (west) on 3N16.
- Drive 0.1 mile on 3N16 to a paved fork. Keep left and park in the adjacent paved parking area.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Follow 3N16 1.3 miles, keeping left at forks, to a dirt road barred by
a gate, while the paved road goes off to the right.
- Go around the gate and hike up the dirt
road to the old lookout on the summit.