USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 8 miles north of Monrovia, 35 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 2 1/4 miles round trip on firebreak
- Gain: 600'
- Time: 1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Charlie Knapke, December 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station.
- Continue on Angeles Crest Highway about 4.5 miles farther to the
parking area at Shortcut Saddle. This is marked on the topo as "Shortcut
Picnic Grounds". Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4780'), hike east up the ridge on the south
side of the highway. Follow the firebreak about a mile up to the summit.