USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 4 miles north of Mount Wilson, 35 miles from Los Angeles, 19 miles from La Cañada-Flintridge
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 585K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Lawlor
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on old road
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Route: Heavy brush
Original: Dick Akawie, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area (4600'), hike east along Angeles Crest Highway for 100'
and go up the dirt road on the left (2N46) for about 3/4 mile to a
trail junction on the left.
- Ignore the junction and continue to follow the old
roadbed (very brushy at times) up to the top of the ridge where it meets a
- Follow the old road east a short distance to where a large green steel water
tank comes into view. The register is on the flat area about 50 yards
south of the water tank at the second sign "Telephone Cable
This route is badly overgrown by brush.