USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 4 miles north of Mount Wilson, 35 miles from Los Angeles, 19 miles from La Cañada-Flintridge
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 585K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Lawlor
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on old road
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Route: Heavy brush
Original: Dick Akawie, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Keep straight.
- Continue about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road
at the Red Box Ranger Station. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area (4600'), hike east along Angeles Crest Highway for 100'
and go up the dirt road on the left (2N46) for about 3/4 mile to a
trail junction on the left.
- Ignore the junction and continue to follow the old
roadbed (very brushy at times) up to the top of the ridge where it meets a
- Follow the old road east a short distance to where a large green steel water
tank comes into view. The register is on the flat area about 50 yards
south of the water tank
and up a slight rise to the left of the continuing old road bed.
This route may be badly overgrown by brush.