USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 4 miles north of Mount Wilson, 35 miles from Los Angeles, 19 miles from La Cañada-Flintridge
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 585K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Lawlor
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2200'
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Southern Courtney
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Turn left onto Angeles Forest Highway.
- Drive north on Angeles Forest Highway 8.3 miles to the Upper Big
Tujunga Road. Turn right.
- Drive east on Upper Big Tujunga Road 4 miles to Alder Creek.
This is the trailhead.
- Continue driving 0.3 mile (until the end of the No Parking
signs.) Park on shoulder.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- Hike back 0.3 mile to Alder Creek.
Find trail on south side of highway,
go southeast, and cross
- At the vandalized steel post reading "Barley Flats Trail",
cross the Big Tujunga Creek.
- Hike east about 100' to the trail
switchbacking out of the wash to the south.
- Hike up a good trail for about 1.5
miles until it reaches a firebreak ridge.
- Go up the use trail on the
ridge. After the ridge section, the trail is fine, if the buckthorn has
not overgrown the trail, to the Barley Flats Road. The trail joins the
road at the parking area for Route 1 outside the gate for Camp Unity.
- See directions for Hiking Route 1.