USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 14 miles north-northeast of Pasadena, 34 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Chilao Flat 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 1.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Iron Mountain #3, Round Top, Granite Mountain #1
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip cross-country
- Gain: 600'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Charlie Knapke, December 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2),
drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest
Highway. Turn left (north).
- Go 9.9 miles to the entrance to Monte Cristo Campground on the right.
Turn right and then immediately left onto dirt road 3N23.
- Go about 1.6 miles to a fork with 4N18 near the Black Cargo Mine. Stay left.
- Continue on this road for 1.05 mile, past a power line tower, to
a prominent gully.
where convenient. Parking space is limited.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the bottom of the gully (4700'), contour south along a steep
slope for about 50 meters, then ascend to meet Rabbit's south
ridge at about the 4800' contour.
- Hike up the old firebreak about 1/3 mile to the summit.