USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 8 miles north of La Cañada-Flintridge in the San Gabriel Mountains, 53 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Condor Peak 7½, Sunland 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 6.0 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Gleason, Iron Mountain #2, Fox Mountain #2
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 10+ miles round trip on road and trail
- Gain: 2400' total, 1000' out plus 1400' on return
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Dick Akawie, January 1968
Note: The gate at Mount Gleason Road at Mill Creek Summit has been closed to vehicles for
a number of years. 3N17 is accessible to biking and hiking, following the directions and mileage
below. This adds 22 miles round trip to a previously 10 mile hike (Route 1), so check out Route 2 unless
you are a hard core hiker or mountain biker!
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2) for 9.5 miles to its
junction with Angeles Forest Highway (N3). Turn left.
- Drive north on Angeles Forest Highway 14.2 miles to Mill Creek
Summit. Turn left on Mount Gleason Road (3N17). Note your odometer and go
- At 6.2 miles, a fork, where the paved road goes into a detention
center. Take the left fork (dirt) around the detention center.
- At 8.8 miles, a gated paved road goes right (north) just past a
microwave tower. This is the parking spot for
Mount Gleason. Keep left.
- At 9.3 miles, fork. Turn left.
- At 9.5 miles, fork at Lightning Point Campground (shown on topo
as "Mt. Gleason Campground"). Turn right.
- Continue downhill about 1.6 miles to a locked gate at a saddle. This
saddle is just northeast of bump 5846'.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5700'), pass the gate and hike west 1 1/2
miles to Indian Ben Saddle. Two trails leave the road at this point marked
- Continue west on the road 1/4 mile to a where the road forks.
- Keep left and follow the road down to a second fork near a water tank.
- Take the right fork and follow it, as it becomes a trail, down to a saddle
at the junction with the Trail Canyon Trail.
- Keep straight here on the
Condor Peak Trail and follow it about a mile to the saddle east of Condor
- From here, follow a use trail up the ridge up to the summit.
Note: Iron, Condor and Fox as a single hike is 14+ miles and
about 4200' gain, plus 22 miles round trip and additional gain from Mill Creek Summit.