USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 12 miles north of La Cañada-Flintridge, 52 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Acton 7½, Condor Peak 7½, Pacifico Mountain 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 650K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Iron Mountain #2, Condor Peak, Fox Mountain #2
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1/2 mile round trip on road
- Gain: 100'
- Time: 15 minutes round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Bob Thompson, January 1978
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2) for 9.5 miles to its
junction with Angeles Forest Highway (N3). Turn left.
- Drive north on Angeles Forest Highway 14.2 miles to Mill Creek
Summit. Turn left on Mount Gleason Road (3N17). Note your odometer and go
- At 6.2 miles, a fork, where the paved road goes into a Los Angeles
County correctional facility.
Take the left fork (dirt) around the detention center.
- At 8.8 miles, a gated paved road goes right (north) just past a
microwave tower. Park at the gate or nearby (don't block the gate).
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (6428'), pass the gate and hike up the road to
the summit, a large open area. There is usually no register on this
- To find the HPS register, travel north past the summit area about 0.3
miles on a dirt road to the summit of bump 6502. This is slightly
south of and above where the PCT intersects the dirt road. The
register is in a rocky patch just east of the road.