USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 19 miles southeast of Gorman, 78 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Burnt Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Liebre Mountain, Burnt Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 7.4 miles round trip
- Gain: 1400' total, 1500' out plus 900' on return
- Time: 2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Route: Steep firebreak
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 north to the town of Castaic and exit on Lake Hughes Road.
- Take Lake Hughes Road northeast for 23.6 miles to where it ends at a
junction with N2, Pine Canyon Road. Turn left (west).
- Go 4.7 miles to Bushnell summit with a junction with 7N23 on the left.
Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.0 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 3.2 miles, junction with 7N08 and a gate. Park here.
If gate is open, you can turn left onto 7N08 and continue another
1.7 miles to a parking area at 5350'.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Go through the gate and head south then east 1.7 miles to where a firebreak
takes off on the right (south) side of the road.
- Follow the firebreak down into a saddle
and up over a bump and on out the ridge to the summit. The summit is about
150' lower than the parking area.
Sawtooth is commonly climbed with Burnt Peak
and Liebre Mtn, with a short drive between each