USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 19 miles southeast of Gorman, 70 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Liebre Mountain 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Burnt Peak, Sawtooth Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 250' round trip
- Gain: None
- Time: None
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus and Al Campbell, 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-5 north to the town of Castaic and exit on Lake Hughes Road.
- Take Lake Hughes Road northeast for 23.6 miles to where it ends at a
junction with N2, Pine Canyon Road. Turn left (west).
- Go 4.7 miles to Bushnell summit with a junction with 7N23 on the left.
Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.0 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 3.2 miles, junction. Go right (west) on 7N23.
- At 4.6 miles, Sawmill Campground.
- At 6.5 miles, fork. Keep straight.
- At 9.7 miles, Bear Campground. Keep straight.
- At 11.2 miles, a wide spot in the road. Park here.
A shorter driving route on the return is as follows:
- From the parking area, go west on 7N23.
- At 6.6 miles, intersect 7N22. Continue straight on 7N23.
- At 7.2 miles turn right (north) on 8N04.
- 8N04 turns into N2. This portion of N2 is called the Old Ridge Route.
- At 12.6 miles turn left (west) onto SR 138.
- Continue west on SR 138 and meet I-5 at 16.8 miles.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (5760'), walk 250' north-northwest to a