USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Los Angeles County, about 19 miles southeast of Gorman, 70 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||Angeles National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Liebre Mountain 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Burnt Peak, Sawtooth Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 7 miles round trip
- Gain: 1850'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus and Al Campbell, 1969
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 north to SR 138.
- Go 4 miles east on SR 138 to a paved road signed as Old Ridge Route Road, which is the beginning of Los Angeles County Road N2. Turn right.
- Go 2.2 miles east to Pine Canyon Road (which is a continuation of N2). Turn left.
- Go 4.2 miles east on N2 passing mile marker 13.6.
right onto dirt road.
- Go 0.1 mile on dirt road to end and park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3960'), the southbound Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) goes right
(west) past a sign 50' up the trail. Follow the PCT as it goes south
and up Liebre Mountain to the broad summit area.
- Once in the broad summit area, hike roughly 0.4 mile on relatively
level ground, watching for a flimsy fence a few yards off the trail to
the right. Pass through the fence to a jeep track beyond.
- The summit cairn is in the grove of trees to the right (west) of the
jeep track, about 50 yards past the fence.