USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Ventura County, about 11 miles east-northeast of Ojai, 82 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Ventura County|
|Forest Service||Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts|
|USGS Topos||Santa Paula Peak 7½, Topatopa Mountians 7½, Ojai 7½, Lion Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Chief Peak, Hines Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 14 miles round trip on road, trail, and use trail
- Gain: 4500'
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
Original: Frank Dobos, December 1993
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take SR 126 to Santa Paula. Turn north on SR 150.
Note your odometer here.
- At 8.8 miles the Summit School (unsigned) is on the right. Just
before the school, turn right on Sisar Avenue. This is a very narrow
and worn paved road. Note your odometer here.
- Go past some houses to where the road turns to dirt, keeping right at
- At 0.8 mile a water tank. Low clearance cars should park here.
- At 1.0 mile a locked gate. All cars park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (1850'), pass the gate and hike up the road
which goes up Sisar Canyon. Continue for about 3 miles to where the
road makes its second major switchback to the left.
- Look for a trail sign straight in front of you, indicating 2.5 miles
to the Nordhoff Ridge Road. Take this trail (21W08) up Sisar Canyon
as it passes through the overgrown White Ledge Campsite and on to its
junction with the Nordhoff Ridge Road (4N15). That junction is
depicted in the extreme southwest corner of the Topatopa Mountains
- Turn right on Nordhoff Ridge Road and follow it 0.5 mile to where it
crosses over to the left side of the ridge. Here a ridge comes down
from the peak on the right side of the road.
- Leave the road here and go up this ridge to the summit following a use
trail and firebreak. There is a large cairn on the summit.