USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 15 miles northwest of Ojai, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Santa Barbara County|
|Forest Service||Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts|
|USGS Topos||Old Man Mountain 7½, White Ledge Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 880K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Old Man Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 24 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 6100' total, 5500' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 10-12 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, 1967
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take US 101 freeway to Ventura.
- Go north on SR 33 to the town of Ojai.
- From the intersection of SR 33 and SR 150 in Ojai, go north on SR 33
for 5 miles and turn left on paved Matilija Road.
- Go west 5.0 miles to a locked gate. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (1540'), hike up the road past the gate.
some houses, a small stream crossing, and then a larger one. A short
distance past this crossing is a trailhead on the right. Continue on the
road to another trailhead on the left with a sign "Murietta Canyon
- Turn left (south) on this trail and follow it about two
miles to where it meets a road.
- Turn left (west) on this road and continue
about 3 miles to a saddle. This is Murrieta Divide.
- Turn sharp right
(north) and continue up the road about 7 miles to the summit.