USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 8 miles west-southwest of New Cuyama, 175 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Santa Barbara County|
|Forest Service||Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts|
|USGS Topos||Peak Mountain 7½, Bates Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 700K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Peak Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip
- Gain: 2800'
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on I-5 past the Grapevine, to the SR 166 off-ramp.
Turn left (west).
- Follow SR 166 about 46 miles to the town of New Cuyama. New Cuyama
may also be reached by a shorter but slower route by driving north from
Ventura through Ojai on SR 33, and then west on SR 166.
- From New Cuyama, drive west on SR 166 for 2.8 miles to Aliso County
Park Road (paved). Turn left.
- Follow signs about 6 miles to Aliso County Park (campground, no fee).
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the campground (2880'), hike up the trail which starts up the
ridge on the west side (not shown on the topo). It goes southwest along
the ridge to join the McPherson Peak Trail, shown on the topo,
- Follow this trail to the summit.