USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Santa Barbara County, about 11 miles west-southwest of New Cuyama, 170 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Santa Barbara County|
|Forest Service||Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts|
|USGS Topos||Peak Mountain 7½, Bates Canyon 7½ (Driving Route 1)|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 570K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: McPherson Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip on firebreak
- Gain: 400'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: John Backus
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on I-5 past the Grapevine, to the SR 166 off-ramp.
Turn left (west).
- Follow SR 166 about 46 miles to the town of New Cuyama. New Cuyama
may also be reached by a shorter but slower route by driving north from Ventura
through Ojai on SR 33, then west on SR 166.
- From New Cuyama, go west 12.8 miles to the Cottonwood Canyon Road
(11N01). Turn left, note your odometer, and go as follows:
- At 4.9 miles, fork. Go left. The road narrows here.
- At 6.5 miles, White Oak Ranger Station and Campground. Keep
- At 6.8 miles, the pavement ends at a gate with a sign "Bates Canyon
- At 12.7 miles, junction with Sierra Madre Road. Turn left
- At 17.5 miles, a saddle with a wide parking area on left. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5440'), hike west up a firebreak less than
1/2 mile to the summit.