USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Luis Obispo County, about 7 miles northwest of New Cuyama, 145 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 17 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 2800' total, 2000' out plus 800' on return
- Time: 7-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Alan Coles, August 1990
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive north on I-5 past the Grapevine Grade to SR 166.
- Take SR 166 west to the town of Maricopa.
- Continue on SR 166 for 9.2 miles to the junction with Soda Lake Road
on the right. Turn right. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- Drive 24.2 miles, staying on the main road, which alternates between
paved and unpaved.
- At 24.2 miles, a three way fork. Take the center fork.
- At 29.2 miles, junction for the Shelby (Selby) Cow Camp. Turn left
and pass through a seasonal gate. Note your odometer again and go as
- At 3.8 miles, fork. The left fork has a sign "Shelby Parking
Area 1 mi.". The right fork is signed "Caliente Ridge Parking
Area 3 miles". Turn right. From this point the good dirt road is steep.
- At 7.1 miles, a parking area on the right and a gated road to the
left (east). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3960'), walk uphill to the
ridgeline where you meet the main ridge road.
- Turn left (east) on the
ridgeline road, which gradually curves southeast for about 8.5 miles to
- The road deteriorates and steepens after the wildlife guzzler
(4500'). Mountain bikers may wish to stash their bikes near this point.
- The summit shack is reached after a final turn to the east. The register
is found next to the shack to the southwest.
ROUTE 1 NOTES
Significant rain turns the road (adobe clay) into a sticky mess, and
closes the roads within the Monument. Not recommended for hikers or mountain bikers
during or shortly after such weather.