USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, 14 miles west of Frazier Park, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Kern County|
|Forest Service||Los Padres National Forest: Mt Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts|
|USGS Topo||Sawmill Mountain 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 12 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Pinos, Grouse Mountain, Cerro Noroeste
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 16 miles round trip on road and trail
- Gain: 3300'
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Charlie Knapke, March 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive north on I-5 to the Frazier Park exit. Turn left (west). Note
your odometer and go as follows:
- At 7.2 miles the Lockwood Valley Road forks left and the Cuddy Valley
Road goes straight. Turn left.
- At 18.2 miles, junction with Boy Scout Camp Road. Turn right.
- At 21 miles, a locked gate at the Three Falls Boy Scout Camp, with a
sign that gives mileages (1 mile too short) to Sheep Camp and the
junction with trail 21W03. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the gate (5500'), hike up the road past the Boy Scout camp.
the pavement ends, continue straight ahead past more trail signs on the
main trail. Continue on this trail for about 7 miles to the signed
junction with trail 21W03 on the western slopes of Sawmill Mountain.
right (east) on trail 21W03, ascending 250' to rolling slopes on the
summit plateau just south of the peak.
- Leave the trail to the left (north)
and follow the ridge to the summit.