USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 6 miles south-southwest of Tehachapi, 113 miles from Los Angeles
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 4.4 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 2000'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Wayne Bannister, May 2012
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From Mojave, drive northwest on SR 58 about 21 miles to exit 148,
the third Tehachapi off-ramp. It is labeled "Correctional
Institution" and is SR 202 west.
- Note your odometer as the exit ramp crosses the freeway, and
continue generally southwards on what becomes Tucker Road.
- At 1.1 miles, cross Valley Blvd. This is the turnoff for
Black Mountain #3.
- At 2.2 miles, an intersection with Highline Road. Turn right
- At 3.5 miles, Water Canyon Road on the left. Turn left (south).
- At 5.7 miles, entrance to Tehachapi Mountain Park.
- Continue through the park to the end of the road, keeping right at
each fork, to a parking area at site 49 near some restrooms. Park
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6000'), hike back down the road (east) to a gully.
- At the gully take the trail on the left marked Tehachapi Trail until you reach a dirt road.
- Continue on the dirt road going west until it intersects a second dirt road going east. Continue on the dirt road going east until it slopes downward and look for a faint trail going up from the road.
- Follow the trail up as it crosses a large a gully and switch backs up the ridge line.
- The trail terminates at a meadow. Cross the meadow and follow a dirt road until it starts downward.
- Leave the road and follow the ridge until reaching a high point at 7655'. This is the intersection with route 1.
- From here follow the ridge south on Route 1 to the summit.