USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 6 miles south-southwest of Tehachapi, 113 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 4.4 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 2000'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Al Campbell, January 1974
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, drive northwest on SR 58 about 21 miles to exit 148,
the third Tehachapi off-ramp. It is labeled "Correctional
Institution" and is SR 202 west.
- Note your odometer as the exit ramp crosses the freeway, and
continue generally southwards on what becomes Tucker Road.
- At 1.1 miles, cross Valley Blvd. This is the turnoff for
Black Mountain #3.
- At 2.2 miles, an intersection with Highline Road. Turn right
- At 3.5 miles, Water Canyon Road on the left. Turn left (south).
- At 5.7 miles, entrance to Tehachapi Mountain Park.
- Continue through the park to the end of the road, keeping right at
each fork, to a parking area at site 49 near some restrooms. Park
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (6000'), hike south up the slope to a road
- Turn right on this road and follow it past several switchbacks
to its end on the ridge at 7000' near a pile of light gray rock.
- From here
follow the ridge south to the summit.