USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 18 miles south of Ridgecrest, near the town of Red Mountain, 135 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 3 1/2 miles round trip
- Gain: 1700'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Dave Comerzan, June 2012
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- From Mojave, go north on SR 14 for 20.7 miles to the Randsburg Road on the right. This is just after Jawbone Canyon Road. Turn right. Note your odometer, and go as follows:
- At 12.2 miles, fork with Garlock Road to left. Turn right.
- At 20.7 miles, junction in Randsburg. Turn left.
- At 21.7 miles, junction with Three Flags Highway (US 395). Turn right.
- At 23.6 miles and just before you get to the town of Red Mountain you come to the intersection with the Trona Road on the left. Turn left. Reset your odometer.
- Go 1.3 miles to Steamwell Road. There is a sign board with maps. Turn right.
- At 3.0 miles, junction with RM 189. Turn right. Go to the left of bump 3476'. Follow paddle boards. Stay left at all junctions.
- At 4.4 miles, turnaround spot with campfire ring in middle. You can park here or turn right, go down a steep incline, turn right at the spur road, go about 200 yards to the base of a steep incline. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the trailhead (3730'), go over the ridge and drop down into a wash.
- Follow the wash about 1/10 of a mile to the beginning of a north-south ridge to bump 4824'.
- Follow ducks up this ridge, staying to left of the large rock out cropping. This portion is steep and loose in spots.
- Once up to 4824', it levels off and is fairly easy the rest of the way. Follow a gentle slope up to the saddle just before the peak. Here you will meet a use trail from Route 1 & 2. Follow it to the peak.