USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 18 miles south of Ridgecrest, near the town of Red Mountain, 135 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 3 1/2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1500'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: John Backus, January 1987
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Follow first three instructions for Driving Route 1.
- At 21.7 miles, junction with Three Flags Highway (US 395).
- At 24.8 miles, an abandoned garage in the town of Red Mountain. Turn
left (southeast) onto a dirt road just past the garage. Note your
- Go straight at an immediate junction.
- At 0.5 mile, a fork at a large pipeline valve. Go right.
- At 0.8 mile, a shallow saddle due east of elevation 3833'. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (3770'), hike up the jeep road that starts at
the parking area. It turns into a trail that then disappears.
southeast up the slope passing elevation 5024' on the left, then
east-northeast to elevation 5180'+.
- From here go southeast down across a saddle, and up to the summit.