USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 18 miles south of Ridgecrest, near the town of Red Mountain, 135 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on road, trail and cross-country
- Gain: 1600' total, 1400' plus 200' on return
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Charlie Knapke, December 1995
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, go north on SR 14 for 20.7 miles to the Randsburg Road
on the right. This is just after Jawbone Canyon Road. Turn right.
Note your odometer, and go as follows:
- At 12.2 miles, fork with Garlock Road to left. Turn right.
- At 20.7 miles, junction in Randsburg. Turn left.
- At 21.7 miles, junction with Three Flags Highway (US 395). Turn right.
- At 23.6 miles and just before you get to the town of Red Mountain
you come to the
intersection with the Trona Road on the left. Turn left and then
immediately right onto a dirt road. Note your odometer, and
drive this road as far as possible:
- At 0.1 mile, keep left at a fork.
- At 0.7 mile, Keep left at a fork.
High clearance 2WD should be able to drive in another 1/2 mile to
about 3800' elevation. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area hike east following an old jeep road to a saddle at
about 4300' just north of elevation 4728'.
- From the saddle at 4300', follow a dirt road south past
elevation 4728' and
into a flat area.
- Continue south a short distance on a use trail to a
crest, then go left to the ridge (probably a ducked route here).
along the ridge over elevation 5180'+.
- From here go southeast down across a
saddle, and up the summit.