USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 16 miles north-northeast of Mojave, 110 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Cross Mountain
- Distance: 5 miles round trip
- Gain: 4200' total, 3000' out plus 1200' on return
- Time: 4.5-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, very strenuous
Original: Peter Doggett, April 2009
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- From Mojave, drive north on SR 14 for 15.9 miles. This is
Cinco, CA. Exit the highway on the left and reset your odometer.
- Make an immediate right.
- After about 0.1 miles, the paved roads turns to the left.
Do not turn left, remain straight and follow the major dirt road.
- At 0.4 mile, a minor dirt road goes off to the right, keep straight.
- At 0.7 mile, 4-Way junction under the power lines, keep straight.
- At 0.8 mile, 4-Way Junction under the power lines, keep straight.
- At 1.3 mile, mine ruins.
- At 2.6 miles, go up.
- At 3.0 miles, car impaled into hillside, turn left.
- At 5.0 miles, junction, turn right.
- At 5.3 miles, junction, turn right.
- At 6.1 miles, junction. Park here. Old sign indicating mine hazards.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area (3280'), follow the dirt road on the
right for about 0.1 mile up to an old mine at about 3350'.
- From this mine, continue SW to a saddle on the ridgeline at about 3550'.
- Turn left and follow the ridge to a bump at about 3600'.
- Continue down the ridge to about 3500', at which point you'll drop down to the right into a narrow canyon.
- Cross this canyon at about 3340' and proceed NW up a ridge a short distance, only to drop again into another canyon.
- From this canyon, proceed west up a major ridge until one reaches a motorcycle path that follows along the top of the ridge.
- Turn right and follow this motorcycle path to a major saddle at 4500' which is 0.3 mile NE of the Chuckwalla summit.
- From this saddle, hike SW up a steep hillside for about 530' to the summit.
NOTES FOR ROUTE 3
- The views from the motorcycle path are breathtaking & spectacular.
- Do not consider climbing the flume. These rocks are loose,
slippery & dangerous.