USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 16 miles north-northeast of Mojave, 110 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Cross Mountain
- Distance: 8 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 3100' total, 2700' out plus 400' on return
- Time: 5-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Charlie Knapke, December 1995
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From Mojave, drive north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon
Road on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 4.1 miles, pavement ends.
- At 6.3 miles, fork with a gated road to the left. Park here. This is
also the parking spot for Cross Mountain.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (2700'), hike past the gate for 0.4 mile to a
fork to the left.
- Turn left and follow this road ("White Rock
Mine Road") about a mile to where it turns left and crosses a
- Leave the road on the right here and follow this wash a short
distance southwest and then up to the top of the ridge straight ahead.
This is about 1/4 mile south of elevation 3362'.
- Follow the ridge over
several bumps until reaching the final slopes of the peak itself, where a
motorcycle track comes in from the left.
- Take this motorcycle trail to the
main saddle just north of Chuckwalla and then head steeply south
cross-country to the summit.
NOTES FOR ROUTE 2
Route 2 can be combined with Routes 1 and 2 for Cross
Mountain to allow both peaks to be done as a loop trip without the
need for a car shuttle. This trip can be done in a clockwise or counter
This route was temporarily withdrawn due to an access restriction
(LA DWP is buidling a huge windfarm) that we've been told has been
lifted. Do not hike into the windfarm itself.