USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 16 miles north of Mojave, 120 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Cross Mountain
ROUTE 2 - From Chuckwalla Mountain
- Distance: 8 miles round trip from Chuckwalla
- Gain: 3500'
- Time: 6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate navigation following OHV tracks in desert terrain
Original: John Backus, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 2
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the summit of Chuckwalla Mountain, hike
down the trail for Route 1 for Chuckwalla Mountain
to the flat area just below the mine prospect.
- From here, follow a motorcycle track southwest down into the saddle
northeast of elevation 4616'.
- Turn left at this saddle and follow a
motorcycle track up to bump 4616', then turn right at a track running
northwest generally down the point of the ridge to the gully.
- Follow this
down to an old cabin and auto body in the streambed at the bottom of the
canyon (shown on the Cinco topo).
- Turn left and go up the canyon following
a motorcycle track. Note carefully the prominent rounded bump 4762' on
your right that is east of the very rocky subsidiary peak 4784' of Cross
Mountain. When directly south of bump 4762', the canyon floor splits into
a west and southwest branch.
- Take the southwest branch, which turns first
west and then gradually northwest to a saddle at 4200'+.
- Just before this
saddle turn right onto a motorcycle track that continues all of the way to
The trip statistics, including Chuckwalla, are 11 miles round trip
and 5200' gain.