USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 27 miles north of Mojave, 140 miles from Los Angeles
- Distance: 3 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1800'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: John Backus, March 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Mojave, drive north on SR 14 for 19.5 miles to Jawbone Canyon
Road on the left. Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 6.3 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 11.9 miles, fork to the right. Keep straight.
- At 13.8 miles, the road turns west and goes over a saddle.
- At 15.1 miles, the road goes over another saddle. This is Hoffman
Summit, the parking spot for Butterbredt Peak.
- At 18.1 miles, fork. Keep right.
- At 18.4 miles, fork. Turn right.
- At 23.7 miles, the pavement begins again.
- At 24.9 miles, dirt road SC123 goes sharply to the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4358'), hike east straight up the slope, going
to the right (south) of the two rocky outcrops to the summit.