USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 11 miles east of the town of Weldon, 153 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Kern County|
|Forest Service||Sequoia National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Walker Pass 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 800K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 7.6 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 2950' total, 2500' out plus 450' on return
- Time: 6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Reset your odometer and turn left (west) on SR 178.
- At 8.2 miles, cross Walker Pass.
- At 9.2 miles, pass Walker Pass Campground.
- At 9.7 miles, a warning sign (on the right side of the road)
about a school bus stop in 500 feet. Park here or on the west side
of the road.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- On the west side of the highway, find the beginning of the Pinyon
Jack Trail (4820'). Follow this trail (vague in places) for about
a mile. It crosses over a saddle (5020'+) then goes down to Jacks
- Turn right (north) and briefly follow the stream. It narrows a bit
and usually can be easily crossed.
- Cross the stream and hike up the ridge you can see to the
northwest. Follow the ridge about 2 miles to the summit.