USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 11 miles east of the town of Weldon, 153 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Kern County|
|Forest Service||Sequoia National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Walker Pass 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 800K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 3100' total, 2800' out plus 300' on return
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: J. C. Jenkins, 1978
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Go west on SR 178 to Walker Pass.
- Continue on SR 178 for 3 miles to the Walker Pass Lodge ruins.
- Continue 0.7 mile and park off the pavement on either side of the
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Hike southwest up the slope to the top of a low ridge just east of
- Turn right and hike west up to elevation 5101'.
south and hike up the steep slope to the top of another ridge at 6050'.
- Turn right and hike west over bump 6822' and down into the saddle on the
- From here hike southwest up the ridge to the summit. Keep left
of the brush as you approach the summit.