USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, 6 miles southwest of Bodfish/Lake Isabella, 195 miles from Los Angeles
||Sequoia National Forest|
||Miracle Hot Springs 7½, Breckenridge Mtn 7½ shows access roads|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file -
Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!
||Viewable PDF file -
Approximately 3.7 megs|
||GPX file or Google Earth
KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software
(How to use GPX and KML files)
||Routes as shown on CalTopo using the above files
(How to use CalTopo)
Nearby Peaks: Bald Eagle Peak
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 1600'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Route: Open ridgelines through forest
Original: Cliff Black, October 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Exit SR 178 at Borel Road 3 miles before reaching the town of Lake
- Turn east, then turn left toward Bodfish at 1/4 mile, then turn
right at Lake Isabella Road.
- Drive about 3 miles to Bodfish.
- Drive through the town of Bodfish on
Lake Isabella Road (which becomes Caliente-Bodfish Road) for 10.5 miles
to paved Breckenridge Road (28S06) on the right, signed "Breckenridge
Campground 11 miles". Turn right.
- Drive 6.3 miles to the ridgeline, meeting 28S19 (dirt) on the
right, signed "O'Brien Spring 2". Park here.
- Competent 4WD vehicles with experienced drivers can proceed 1 mile
toward O'Brien Spring. This saves 2 miles round trip and about 400' gain.
(Walker Pass approach)
- Drive west on SR 178 to SR 155 at Lake Isabella.
Turn left a short distance to Lake Isabella Road.
- Turn right (south) and drive about 3 miles to Bodfish.
- Continue as in the route from Bakersfield.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5837'), hike north along the 4WD road about
1 mile to a grassy flat area (about 6160') before the road turns right and goes
- Leave the 4WD road and hike west up to the ridgeline, then turn
north. The first major bump on the ridge has benchmark debris and a
register on top (Hobo Benchmark 6365').
- Trending northward along the ridge
from Hobo BM, go over bump 6302' to bump 6320'+, then turn northwest into
the final saddle before the summit.
- Ascend the final bump to the summit.
The register is against a finger rock on the right (north) side.