USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 7 miles northwest of Inyokern, 153 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Morris Peak, Mount Jenkins, Owens Peak
- Distance: 2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1600'
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 3, moderate
Original: Al Campbell, December 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Continue north on SR 14 another 5.3 miles to a dirt road on the
left. Turn left. This is 0.4 mile past Indian Wells, with a lodge and brewery. SR 14 is
under construction. It may be necessary to continue farther north and
turn around, returning to the dirt road. Note your odometer and go as
- At 2.6 miles, Powers Well on the left. Keep straight. This is a good
- At 2.7 miles, fork. Turn right.
- At 3.2 miles, fork. Keep right. This is the turnoff for
Owens Peak, Morris Peak
and Mount Jenkins.
- Park in a parking area a short distance from the fork.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3600'+), the peak is visible as the leftmost
of several points. Hike up the slope through the saddle between the summit
and the next point to its right.
- Continue around to the northeast side of
the summit to a spiny ridge coming down from the summit.
- Scramble up onto
this ridge, turn left, and follow it up toward the summit.
- Soon you will
see two slots coming down from the summit. Follow the left slot through
some easy class 3 rock up to the summit.
Alternatively, it is possible to
hike to the left of the summit and go around the peak to the spiny ridge
as described above.