** Use at Your Own Risk **
Location: Kern County, about 7 miles northwest of Inyokern, 153 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Morris Peak, Mount Jenkins, Owens Peak
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1600'
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 3, moderate
Original: Al Campbell, December 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take SR 14 to Mojave.
- Continue north on SR 14 to the intersection with SR 178 (Freeman
- Continue north on SR 14 another 5.3 miles to a dirt road on the
left. Turn left. This is 0.4 mile past the Homestead Cafe. SR 14 is
under construction. It may be necessary to continue farther north and
turn around, returning to the dirt road. Note your odometer and go as
- At 2.6 miles, Powers Well on the left. Keep straight. This is a good
- At 2.7 miles, fork. Turn right.
- At 3.2 miles, fork. Keep right. This is the turnoff for
Owens Peak, Morris Peak
and Mount Jenkins.
- Park in a parking area a short distance from the fork.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (3600'+), the peak is visible as the leftmost
of several points. Hike up the slope through the saddle between the summit
and the next point to its right.
- Continue around to the northeast side of
the summit to a spiny ridge coming down from the summit.
- Scramble up onto
this ridge, turn left, and follow it up toward the summit.
- Soon you will
see two slots coming down from the summit. Follow the left slot through
some easy class 3 rock up to the summit.
Alternatively, it is possible to
hike to the left of the summit and go around the peak to the spiny ridge
as described above.
It is possible to hike up to the spiny ridge from any convenient parking
area near the peak. It is suggested that a Wilderness
map is obtained to be sure that you do not violate the Wilderness
Five Fingers, Owens Peak, Morris
Peak, and Mount Jenkins are all in the
Owens Peak Wilderness. At the date of this
guide no permit is required.
Learn more about Five Fingers.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.