USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 5 miles northeast of Kernville, 210 miles from Los Angeles
||Sequoia National Forest|
||Cannel Peak 7½, Weldon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file -
Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!
||Viewable JPG file -
Approximately 1.5 megs
||GPX file or Google Earth
KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software
(How to use GPX and KML files)
||Routes as shown on CalTopo using the above files
(How to use CalTopo)
- Distance: 24 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 5500'
- Time: 12 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous, class 2 summit block
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Navigation: Intermediate
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From the intersection of Kernville Road and Sierra Way in
Kernville (see Route 1), turn left (north) on Sierra Way.
- Drive north on Sierra Way for 1.5 miles to a parking area on
your right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area hike up Cannel Meadows Recreational Trail (33E22)
for about ten miles until you reach Pine Flat.
- From there go east on the road at the intersection of Cannel Meadows Trail and 24S12D for about 1/2 mile.
- Then follow Route 1 directions to the top.